Thursday, September 10, 2009

I Prefer "Fall Cleaning"

The kiddos went back to school two weeks ago (as you can see on every blog in the world and their first day of school pictures!). It was also a pretty busy time for me. I happen to be the Home, Family and Personal Enrichment Leader in our ward and our quarterly activity was last week which consisted of several "Provident Living Mini-Classes". We learned how to can fruits and vegetables, grind wheat and make it into bread, organize our food storage, and several other handy things. It was quite a thing to get organized. That happened to come just after we went to the cabin for the weekend along with two other families and after back to school night and after shopping for school supplies and after Fall Baseball started and after working a few concerts at USANA Amphitheatre. . . you get the point. I've had a busy couple of weeks.

But when I looked at my calendar this week, there were actually some holes! I was pretty excited because the storage room desperately needed to be cleaned out to make way for a new freezer. That was the latter part of Monday. I have had 20 pounds of tomatoes sitting on my counter waiting to be turned into ketchup. That took all day Tuesday but they aren't on my counter anymore. Yesterday I took apart the family room, cleaned everything and then put it back together. It doesn't look too much different but I slept better knowing there wasn't any dust under the DVD player.

Today I am going to tackle my bedroom. The sheets are already in the wash and I just ran downstairs to get the vacuum (via the computer ;)). I am going to clean out drawers, the closet and the bathroom. I have a stash of knitting things by bed that used to be organized but somehow started to grow and creep in several directions. That needs to be taken care of. I am going to do my best with Jim's side of the room. I am going to try to get a handle on the dust situation. I really like the windows open at night and in the morning so that is never under control. And I think I will try a new fragrance in the Scentsy that's in my room.

I like this type of deep cleaning in the Fall. I have been doing it since Josh started first grade. It usually takes me a week or two after school starts to get into a routine but by then I am caught up enough to tackle two or three rooms a week. I like turning on some music and just getting into it. On those days I usually don't shower or go anywhere until just before the kids get home from school. I apologize in advance if you are unlucky enough to come to my door on one of those days! I am usually finished with the "Fall Cleaning" just in time to get out my Fall decorations and enjoy my favorite time of year.

So enough typing. I am wasting good cleaning time!

2 comments:

Greg said...

I LOVE Fall Cleaning! Reading your post makes me very jealous (I caught a cold after Jackson & I have not had energy to do anything)...but I'm hoping that I'll be back on my feet...or down on my hands and knees, scrubbing in no time.

Unknown said...

Fun to read your blog. I bet you had a nice week-end knowing that all is clean and in order. Enjoy the Fall.
Love you MOM