Sunday, July 4, 2010

Snow for the Fourth of July

From the time the boys were very little, we started taking long Sunday drives. We have driven just about every canyon in northern Utah. We have been blessed to have kids that do very well in the car, even from the time they were tiny babies. I remember there was a time I was visiting my family, just me and my boys, and I drove from my hometown in the San Diego area all the way to my home in the Salt Lake City area in one day. I think they were all under five years old. And they were really good!

Then a couple of years ago, the gas prices started to skyrocket. We stopped taking Sunday drives like we used to and just fell out of the habit of doing it. We still take the boys places. They have been to a lot of places and see

n a lot of things that most kids their age have not. But we just don't take random drives on Sunday afternoons like we used to.

Well, Jim has been DYING to take a Sunday drive since the snow melted. And we found a road that we have never driven on! We drove up to Park City, had a little dinner and continued up the road past Dear Valley and went over the pass on a little dirt road that meets up with Big Cottonwood Canyon. We have been up that canyon and down into Midway and Heber but never on the little road to/from Park City.

When we were at the top of the pass we pulled over. We got the dog on her leash and walked a little way up the trail. I had to turn around and go back to the truck before everyone else. It was only 54 degrees up there! I was dressed for 80+ degrees. The boys had ventured off the trail and found some snow. There is still plenty in the shade and on the north and east facing peaks. Macy had. great time running around and smelling all the new smells. I think Jim got his Sunday drive fix and I didn't have to come up with something for dinner. We all won!

How blessed we are to live in such a wonderful area in such an amazing country. I hope I never take that for granted. I am forever grateful for all those that have made sacrifices to make our country great!

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

No comments: