Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Music to My Ears

I grew up with two older sisters. They were 3 1/2 and 5 1/2 years older than me. Needless to say, they had a pretty close relationship before I was born. One of my first memories of my sisters is them scolding me for playing with their Barbies and Lisa telling me, "Things were good until you came along!"

While they were taking dance lessons, I would watch with my mom and she would tell me I was too little to take dance. While they were practicing piano, I would ask my mom why I couldn't play the piano. Once again I was told I was too little. Well, that didn't stop me. My sisters finally got used to me and they even taught me a few things. One of them was to read and later they helped me learn the notes on the piano. Although I never took formal lessons I would plunk around on the keys almost every day. I love music! I love how it makes me feel and I love using it to express myself. I know it's not too late to take lessons but now is the boys time. They started a few years ago. Austin still takes piano lessons. Kyle found the guitar and really likes that. Josh plays the clarinet in the band and hopes to move on to saxophone next year.

The piano we have is not ours. Shortly after we were married, Jim's mom let us use one of her pianos. It is the piano her parents gave to her for her wedding. We have been so grateful to have it all these years! Austin uses it every day. I still sometimes plunk around on it. We have had it for 18 years and five moves but never had it tuned. Sometimes the boys would sit down to practice and thought they were playing their music wrong because it was so out of tune. They would complain, "That's not how it sounds on Fran's piano!" And they were right!

Well, one of Jim's co-workers has decided to get certified to tune pianos. He gave us a deal that was too good to pass up. He came over a few days ago and went to work. And, trust me, it was work. He had to go though every note twice and replace a couple of wires that were broken.

But when he was done and played a little tune I couldn't believe my ears. It sounded GREAT! Now I might be motivated to sit down more often. It does my heart good when the house is filled with music. The next step might possibly be to have Duane restore it to it's original beauty.

* If anyone needs a tune up you can find this wonderful person at McGuirePiano.com or give him a call (801) 830-5858 *

No comments: