Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Cabin Fever Breaker

It has been a pretty cold winter. Because of my "medical condition", I have a hard time in the cold. It just sucks the energy right out of me. So, I stay inside a lot. That can get really old by the middle of February! As far as I'm concerned, spring should start on January 1st. There is really no reason for cold weather after Christmas. (Well, except for the fact that we need the snow so we can have water to drink and for our yards.)

When I woke up on Saturday, the skies were mostly clear and the temperatures were above freezing. I had plenty of "chores" I could have done but I told Jim he needed to take me somewhere outside. We decided to take the FrontRunner downtown and go exploring. We got the boys ready, got bundled up and headed for the train station. The boys put in their headphones and and text-messaged the time away. Jim and I enjoyed each others company and conversation.

We got off at the main station in SLC. Then we hopped on Trax and rode over to Temple Square. For months I have wanted to see the model of the Salt Lake Temple that is in the South Visitor's Center. It was amazing! The boys enjoyed seeing the "inside" of the temple their parents were married in. We also went inside the Museum of Church History and Art. There is a new addition to the exhibit called Mi Vida, Mi Historia. It is an interactive exhibit for children. It was super cute and way fun to watch all the little kids exploring.

That didn't last long, though. The boys were hungry and finding a good place to eat became top priority. Jim and I decided that our new business should take our family out for a nice dinner once a month and Saturday would be our first "dinner meeting". We walked a couple blocks south to Market Street Grill. Just our luck! It was Crab Festival time! We enjoyed a nice long late lunch/dinner. We talked about what we wanted our business to do and what we were willing to put into our business. We taught the boys about putting their napkins on their laps and that there is a difference between a salad fork and a dinner fork. And with our bellies full, we walked over to the Gateway Mall to walk around. We looked to see if there was a movie we wanted to see but there wasn't. We did some window shopping but, as usual, we ended up at the Clark Planetarium, one of our favorite places.

It was starting to get dark so we hopped on Trax and rode back to the main FrontRunner station. I was tired, but the good kind of tired. We had seen some sunshine, walked in the fresh air and spent some quality time together. It was a great day! I am hoping as the days start getting longer, the temperatures will continue to climb. I know that it will still snow in the next few months. But I also know that we are just about to see the first daffodils poke up through the dirt. That gives me hope. I also know that, if I get desperate for warmth, St George and some wonderful family are only 5 hours away!


Kelly said...

Thanks for sharing your details of your wonderful family activity out and about. It sounds like a really nice time. New business? I'll have to read back posts to see what I might have missed.

I hope you're doing well with your medical condition. Sending you big hugs.

Clammy said...

Sounds like a fun day! Maybe when it gets warm I'll take the girls for a ride on the train.