Friday, August 29, 2008

From Mobile, AL Straight into Hurricane Gustav

Last week, about this time, I was called by my company to see if I could travel to Mobile, Alabama to do some "site surveys" at some Hurricane Shelters and Pick-up Points. I thought, "No problem. I will be home by Thursday."

Well, Wednesday, just before I was about to go home, I received word that I needed to be ready to travel in case Tropical Storm Gustav turned into a hurricane. Last night we were told that we need to head to New Orleans so this morning I got into my rental car and drove west on I-10 from Mobile to New Orleans. I am actually writing this post in the New Orleans Region I Emergency Operations Center (EOC).

I have gone through several emotional stages in the last few hours. Part of me is fascinated by what I am learning. Another part of me is eager to help in any way that I can. But the biggest part of me is saying, "What in the world am I doing driving into New Orleans when all the traffic is headed the other way? I should be home taking care of my family and my other obligations. Nothing here is as important as my family." Plus, I only packed to be gone for three days. If Gustav turns into a category 3 hurricane and comes this way, I may be here until next Friday. That is seven days more than I packed for! Even if it heads toward the west, I am probably still going to be here until then. I miss my family. I want to play Rock Band tonight. I want to take my kids to school and to their dentist appointments. I want to do laundry and dishes.

Pray for those of us here in South East Louisiana. Pray for my family to be strong while I am gone.

I am sure I will have pictures and video for you all to see when this is over.

P.S. This is where I am for the duration: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Belle+Chasse+Hwy%2FLA-23+S&sll=41.096138,-112.075288&sspn=0.007875,0.013733&ie=UTF8&ll=29.859357,-89.991943&spn=0.004531,0.006866&t=h&z=17

1 comment:

Joann said...

I can't believe you are in the heart of it all! I am scared FOR you! We'll help take care of all of your boys (especially Jim). Please be careful!